Uppsala – the University city
Uppsala is Sweden’s fourth largest city with a population of approximately 200 000 inhabitants. Unique cultural treasures and an exciting history are to be found in the city of knowledge and inspiration. Uppsala has retained its small-town charm while offering a big city’s selection of shops, restaurants and other entertainment.
Uppsala has many historical attractions. Among the most famous are:
- Uppsala Cathedral, the largest cathedral in Scandinavia
- Uppsala Botanical Garden, one of Sweden’s eldest botanical gardens
- A unique anatomical theathre built in the 1600’s
- The town home and garden of Carl Linnaeus
- Uppsala Castle from the mid 16th century
Links to the websites
- Learn more about Uppsala Cathedral at the website of Church of Sweden
- Uppsala University web presents the botanical garden
- Uppsala University’s Museum Gustavianum presentation with the anatomical theathre
- Uppsala University web presents the Linnaeus Garden
- Destination Uppsala web presents Uppsala Castle
However, Uppsala is not only known for its traditions. Today Uppsala is a dynamic industrial and commercial city where knowledge, ideas and entrepreneurship are at the center. The city’s geographical location with only 30 minutes to Stockholm-Arlanda international airport and 40 minutes to Stockholm has made Uppsala an attractive place for meetings.